Some of the best care-giving of my life has been in the context of hospice. When an older person is dying, it’s wonderful for the family to have the help, support, and kind expertise and nurturing of hospice.
Hospice is the service of giving free hospice care orange county total support, medical comfort, skilled nurses, aides and home health workers, social workers, chaplains and doctors to help the dying to live as fully and richly as possible in the journey of dying. Sometimes hospice is an actual building into which people move, but most often hospice brings their services into the home. They also, at the request of a family, will give their care to people in care homes.
How sad it is then when families are afraid or reluctant to consider hospice. It means they turn away the help of the best-qualified people to walk with through the dying time of a family member. Hospice help transforms a difficult time into a season which can be beautiful, dignified, pain-free and not frightening.
I’m always so sorry when a family won’t allow hospice. Even sadder when an elderly husband or wife won’t accept that help for a dying spouse.That almost guarantees unnecessary pain to the one they care for. It denies comfort to everyone.
Five Great Things Hospice Can Do:
1. Assure pain control that works effectively without over-drugging the dying person;
2. Guides and helps everyone to know what is going on. Supports open communication among family members;
3. Gives aid and support to everyone, not just the dying;
4. Provides home help, aides for bathing and comfort care, RN expertise on call 24 hours and chaplains for
5. Brings the journey of dying back into its importance and unifying power to draw together all those who have loved this family member.
That does not stop when the person dies. Hospice continues to provide emotional comfort for the living. Often, hospice will have on-going grief support groups to help family members.